Spur Tour de Dam presented by Anatomic
The North West province has a lot of features to boast with such as the Pilanesberg Game Reserve, Magaliesberg Mountain Range, Hartebeespoort Dam, Boskop Dam Nature Reserve and……the title of the 2015 Spur High School MTB League National Champions. North West is rugged, African bush territory and the home of the toughest High School mountain bikers not to be underestimated by the masses that roam the city single-tracks. The Spur North West MTB Series does not have the largest number yet they deliver the strongest riders consisting of a team that already has a South African XCO Youth boys and Junior Womens Champion.
The second Spur North West MTB Series event took place on Saturday 30July at Hartebeespoort HS overlooking the Hartebeespoort Dam. Spur Tour de Dam drew in 176 riders for the day. The course was only 3km in distance leaving the commissaires with the task to announce to the participants that they will all be doing an extra lap – a tough day of racing awaited them as this route is known to be challenging with long drags and some loose rocky /sandy corners.
The sub junior boys category got underway with riders having to complete 4 laps. JOHN-WILLIAM LANG from Rustenburg HS broke away in the first lap with a 40 second lead over his closest rivals THEO VAN ZIJL and HANRO VERMEULEN both also from Rustenburg HS. JOHN-WILLIAM took the win in a time of 00:48:38. THEO came in 2nd in a time of 00:51:08 and HANRO 3rd 00:52:24.
JONE VAN EEDEN from Potchefstroom Gimnasium extended her overall series lead in the Sub Junior girls category by speeding through the 2 laps and winning in a time of 00:24:19. ILKE BOTES from Transvalia HS (Gauteng guest rider) came in 2nd 00:25:10 and NATASHA ROETS from Potchefstroom Gimnasium in 3rd 00:29:03.
The Youth boys racing was fierce! A total of 5 laps awaited the riders and from the whistle a three-man breakaway formed consisting of Ryan Conradie ( Potchefstroom Gimnasium), Brendan Van Eeden (Potchefstroom Gimnasium) and Stehan Wolmarans (Hartebeespoort HS) . Stehan got dropped on lap 2 and all eyes were on the leading two riders. On lap 3 Ryan launched an attack which Brendan could not match and lead the rest of the race to take the win and increased his overall series lead.
The youth girls had to complete 3 laps. Andrea De Waal from Potchefstroom Girls High went hard in the start sprint securing her front position before they entered the singletrack. On her wheel was Kaylin Prinsloo from Hartebeespoort HS, but not for long as Andrea dropped back giving Kaylin the opportunity to break away and take the win as well as the leaders jersey.
A race full of spectator excitement keeping everyone on their feet. The Junior Mens race was a battle of note between two Hoër Volkskool Potchefstroom riders, best fiends but when it’s race time there’s no holding back. Pieter Du Toit and Brandon Van der Berg broke away in the 1st lap but soon Brandon dropped down with half a minute on lap 2 and 3. Pieter was now on a solo lead with 3 laps to go. Pieter’s luck turned for the worst and was hit with a mechanical problem causing him his lead. He dropped roughly 10 positions but with his head tucked down and legs turning those pedals hard he managed to take 4th. Brandon Van der Berg took the win with Chad Fikkert from Midstream College (Gauteng guest rider) in 3rd.
The Junior Womens race came down to a sprint between Danielle Strydom from Potchefstroom Gimnasium and Kristen Louw from Hoër Volkskool Potchefstroom. Both kept it together for the 4 laps, as they made their way onto the rugby field to head to the finish Danielle launched one of her deadly attacks to take the win.
Top 5 schools
- Potchefstroom Gimnasium – 199 points
- Rustenburg HS – 150 points
- Hartebeespoort HS – 121 points
- Wesvalia – 88 points
- Hoër Volkskool Potchefstroom – 86 points
North West Leaders
- Sub Junior Boys – John-William Lang – Rustenburg HS
- Sub Junior Girls – Jone Van Eeden- Potchefstroom Gimnasium
- Youth Boys – Ryan Conradie – Potchefstroom Gimnasium
- Youth Girls – Kaylin Prinsloo – Hartebeespoort HS
- Junior Men – Pieter Du Toit- Hoër Volkskool Potchefstroom
- Junior Women – Danielle Strydom – Potchefstroom Gimnasium
- Sub Juniors – click here
- Youth – click here
- Juniors – click here
- Schools Points – click here
- Race stats – click here
- Spur Tour de Dam Top 5 – click here
Photos click here
A big thank you to the following sponsors and partners for the opportunity this all possible:
- Spur Steak Ranches – The ones that make this all possible! We thank you and the kids thank you.
- Anatomic Sportswear – Organising and sponsors of leaders jerseys
- 32Gi – Nutritional partner
- Cycle Lab – Bike Servicing Station and R10 000 Fuji bike prize
- CycleSure – Bike and accessories insurance for all participants
- ER24 – Impressive support along the route. Having a paramedic cycle behind the riders fully equipped to assist them incase of an emergency as well as a medic on a quad bike. Thanks to the ER24 team!
- Ride Magazine – Media
- Hoërskool Hartebeespoort – The school with the best views!